Slow Cooker Chicken in Tomato Sauce
Sometimes simple is best! This Slow Cooker Chicken in Tomato Sauce uses simple ingredients yet delivers maximum flavors!
Servings 4 servings
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (or tenders would work too)
- 3 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 28 oz fire-roasted crushed tomatoes (1 can)
- 14 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 8 oz tomato sauce (1 can)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend (see notes)
- 1 large zucchini
- Fresh basil
Heat skillet (or multi-cooker) to medium high heat
Melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil
Season chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper and cook on each side until lightly browned (about 3-4 minutes)
Transfer chicken to slow cooker
Add cans of tomatoes/tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and remaining two tablespoons of butter
Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until chicken is cooked through (reduce time if using tenders 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 on low)
Taste sauce and add more seasonings if desired
Spiralize zucchini and add to slow cooker
Return cover and let cook in sauce until softened, about 10-15 minutes
Garnish with fresh slivered basil
- Here is the spiralizer I use. You could also serve with pasta or with sliced sautéed zucchini.
- If the sauce is too acidic for your liking, you can stir in a couple of tablespoons of cream or milk.
- I've made this with and without the addition of the Italian seasoning and like both versions, but possibly prefer the one without because I LOVE tomato flavors.
Calories: 412kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 131mg | Sodium: 1279mg | Potassium: 1535mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 1480IU | Vitamin C: 34.8mg | Calcium: 131mg | Iron: 4.7mg