What do you do when you are starting to get low on groceries and especially low on meal ideas but you don’t have time to go shopping. Do you go out, get take-out or start getting creative? On Instagram last week I posted a picture of my “clean-out-the-pantry” ingredients hoping they would turn out to be a decent meal. Guess what? It worked! This is part of the beauty of crockpot cooking I think. Put together somewhat random ingredients and come out with a new meal that my family will request again!
Depending on the toppings you use this actually turns out as quite a healthy meal too. Ground turkey, black beans, corn, onion and jalapenos make the base of this taco salad. It’s gets a very simple seasoning mix of one packet of taco seasoning and one packet of ranch dressing mix. I’ve found recipes to make my own homemade version of both of those packets before and it’s really easy if that’s something you prefer to do.
I put the ground turkey in the crockpot raw along with the other filling ingredients. This was perfect in my 3.5 quart oval programmable slow cooker. The larger surface area cooked the meat perfectly even though the crock was not very full.
Just place the meat in the crock and crumble it up a bit with a spatula. Add the rest of the ingredients and give it all a little stir to combine and then you really don’t have to touch it for the day. A perfect recipe in my life 🙂
Place the meat on a bed of crushed tortilla chips and then top with lettuce and any or all of your favorite toppings. We used tomatoes, cheese, sour cream and guacamole. Oh, and ranch dressing for the 3 year old since she doesn’t each much of anything without ranch. What are your favorite must have taco toppings?
Slow Cooker Turkey Taco SaladPrint Pin Rate
- 1 pound ground turkey (use white or a lean blend)
- 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno (optional)
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 package ranch dressing mix (I used spicy)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 10 oz bag tortilla chips
- 1 head romaine lettuce (cleaned and chopped)
- Other optional toppings:
- halved grape tomatoes
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- bottled ranch dressing
- premade guacamole packets or sliced avocado
- Place ground turkey (raw) in crock and use a spatula to break it up
- Add beans, corn, onions, jalapenos, taco seasoning, ranch dressing and water
- Stir everything to combine
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4
- Slightly crush tortilla chips
- Serve meat on a bed of the crushed chips
- Top with lettuce and other desired toppings
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!