In our house, dinner parties usually consist of ordering pizza or making chili for a few friends or family members and while we hang out in our sweats and play cards or watch football. We’re fancy like that. On the rare occasion that we host some kind of a dinner party that’s a little more on the formal side I like to make something a little more impressive. Years ago I came up with this idea for stuffing chicken breasts with some kind of yummy filling, browning them with butter in skillet, then slow cooking them in the oven the rest of the way. The results were delicious….just what I was aiming for. The amount of work involved in the preparation, stove top cooking, oven supervising and major cleanup was not.
I thought a few times about making them in the crockpot but always dismissed the idea thinking that the chicken would never brown or that the filling would not hold up. Finally I got brave and decided to give it a try. So glad I did…it worked perfectly! The chicken was juicy, perfectly browned on the top and the filling was melty and good!
Slow Cooker Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Gorgonzola and MushroomsPrint Pin Rate
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped portobello mushrooms
- 1 finely chopped shallot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Place a small slit in the side of each chicken breast, being careful not to cut all the way through. Make enough space to fit a couple of spoonfuls of filling.
- Mix together the cheese, mushrooms, shallots, butter and garlic in a small bowl. Stuff a couple of spoonfuls into each chicken breast and close with a toothpick.
- Place the chicken breast in a single layer in the crockpot.
- Pour the chicken broth in the bottom - just enough so that the top half of the chicken is exposed.
- Brush olive oil over the top of the chicken and sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!