LOVE IT when the whole meal can be made in one crockpot and eaten in one bowl!! Easy prep work and easy clean up. Not to mention you get your protein, your grains, and your veggies all in one! You could easily add in a variety of veggies to up the nutrition even more. Zucchini, red bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, and red onions would go very well with the spicy flavors. You can also customize it to your preferred spiciness preference. I kept it on the mild side since I was serving it to my kids.
The inspiration for this dish came from this recipe over at Cooking Madly! But of course I wanted something I could throw in the slow cooker and not think about again until dinner time when we were all hungry!
I kept this vegetarian by using black beans as my protein but it would also be very good with some chucks of chicken or even pork that were sauteed until brown in a little olive oil or butter. This makes for easy leftovers too!
Slow Cooker Spicy Enchilada BowlsPrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup rice (I used brown)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 - 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- 12 oz enchilada sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth (depending on type of rice you use)
- Add rice, olive oil, and onion flakes to crock and stir to coat
- Add remaining ingredients
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4
- If rice is not quite done, add another 1/2 cup broth and let cook for additional 30 minutes
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!