Are there any foods that are so comforting to you because they remind you of way back when? Things your mom would make that just tasted so good, or that were such a part of your routine that they truly became a comfort food? I remember my mom making tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on cold rainy days and to this day I still love that meal! No offense to the good old canned soup but I’ve created a recipe for tomato soup here that will be a little fresher and a lot more flavorful! Like mom used to make… but different! 😉
This is not much more work than heating up a can of soup! And it’s the perfect recipe for when you will be gone all day and won’t be able to adjust or check on the crock. It can sit and simmer away…the longer the better! The flavors will just keep melding together!
I used some herbed Italian bread to make a quick and easy grilled cheese. A mild Italian shredded cheese blend will make quick work of throwing together the sandwich at the last minute. And you do need the sandwich! How else will you dunk?!?
The big fire roasted juicy tomatoes, the creamy Gorgonzola cheese and just a little bit of cream make this tomato soup a step above the rest! This is a soup for tomato lovers!!
What are you childhood favorite meals? Do you still eat them today? Do any of them gross you out and make you wonder what in the world you were ever thinking?!? (i.e. bologna sandwiches or butter and jelly!). Please share!!!
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 28 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 oz can tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream for later
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese for later
- Add all ingredients to crock except cream and cheese
- Stir to combine
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours
- Add cheese (to taste) and cream and stir
- Let simmer for a few more minutes until cheese is melted and give it one last stir