I’m not sure why I’ve never had stuffed peppers of any kind before. I have no real explanation. So many beautiful recipes, so little time – maybe? Well, all I can say is that I’m so glad I finally tried them. They are tasty, healthy and not to mention they are perfect for the crockpot! I was inspired by this recipe at No. 2 Pencil…I mean don’t those just look delicious?! I put my own twist on it, however. (Read….had to simplify even more…needed a fast and
lazy easy recipe).
I’m not going to lie, these were supposed to be dinner for my family. It was about 3pm and I couldn’t take it any more. I needed to at least take a taste to make sure they were good. If not I would need to come up with a backup plan or be prepared to order pizza. But one bite lead to another and before I knew what had happened I had already devoured my share. Oops. Not to worry, I restrained myself and left the rest for my husband and son and I went off to the gym (for the first time in I won’t mention how long. Another…oops).
I’m not sure if everyone had a chance to eat but I will just say there was one pepper left when I got home and no one was around in the kitchen. Then suddenly there were no leftovers to package up for the fridge. That’s all I’m going to say. I think it may be time to venture into the land of all kinds of peppers stuffed with all kinds of stuff. What are your favorites? Are they crockpot friendly?
- 4 bell peppers red, orange, yellow - don't use green
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked sausage I used precooked
- 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup brown Minute Rice uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- Cut tops off peppers and scoop out ribs and seeds
- Mix all remaining ingredients in bowl until well combined
- Pour 1/3 cup water into the bottom of the crock and then nestle the peppers into the water
- Carefully stuff the peppers with the filling and replace tops on peppers
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 5-6
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!