For some reason whenever I think of nachos the weird orange cheese and stale chips they serve at sporting events is what comes to mind. It never occurred to me that I could make nachos at home. And better yet that they could actually be a meal for my family. A delicious meal that we were all raving about, in fact!! These Slow Cooker Chipotle Beef Nachos with Roasted Corn and Tomatoes are the result of seeing some yummy looking photos of nachos over on Pinterest and then digging through my cabinet to see what I might be able to concoct! I love how some of my favorite meals come from throwing things together in the crock and waiting to see what come out!
Of course there is cheese in here but none of that processed orange stuff…what is that anyway? I used some bolder cheeses that could stand up to the flavor and spice of the meat and went with extra sharp cheddar and queso fresco. If bold cheeses aren’t your thing then a monterey jack would be tasty! Topping it all off are some fresh tomatoes, sour cream, cilantro and avocado!!! A perfect balance to the spicy chipotle flavors!
I used a skirt steak for this and it was perfect. I cut it in half longways and then sliced it thin before I threw it in the crock. Then I went and read about skirt steaks and found out I probably did it wrong. Oops. Well, that’s why I love the crockpot! It came out so tender you’d never know the difference. Except I just admitted it to you. So watch a video on YouTube if you want to slice it properly…or be a rebel like me!
If you had a weird preconceived notion of nachos like I did (or even if you didn’t)…here you go! Delicious, grown up, flavorful nachos that you can be proud to serve for a family dinner or your big Super Bowl party!!
- 1 bag of your favorite corn chips
- 1 pound skirt steak sliced thin
- 1 cup roasted frozen corn see note below
- 3.75 oz can chipotle peppers in adobo more or less depending how spicy you like it
- 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- For topping:
- sour cream
- 2 sliced avocados
- 1 cup sharp cheddar grated
- 5 oz queso fresco crumbled
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro optional
- Place steak, corn, peppers, tomatoes, vinegar and spices in crock. Cook on low for about 8 hours.
- Pour lime juice over meat and stir to combine.
- Place meat mixture over chips
- Top with cheese, sour cream, avocado, tomato, and more cilantro as desired
If you can't find frozen roasted corn you can roast regular frozen corn in a skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil for a few minutes until it browns.