It’s kinda like mac & cheese. Except without the cheese. Or the mac. It’s butternut squash cooked up all day into a creamy sauce seasoned with fall’s favorite herbs! Then it’s all loaded up with gnocchi instead of noodles for a hearty filling dish! And not to be forgotten, it’s all topped off with a buttery, crispy breadcrumb and parmesan topping. Comfort food, veggie style!
I was a cheater here and used a bag of cut up butternut squash from the store. I’ve cut up butternut squashes plenty of times in my life but this was a lovely little shortcut I’m bound to take again. Add it along with milk, flour, butter and seasonings to your slow cooker and let it simmer away while you work away (or maybe even relax?).
I brought out the casserole slow cooker for this recipe so that I could pop it in the oven at the end for a couple minutes to toast up the breadcrumbs. Not mandatory, just an added bonus. Feel free to use a regular slow cooker as well, 4 quart or larger.
Such an easy, simple dish that is perfect as a meal or as a side. Move over mac and cheese, there’s a new comfort food 😉
Want more slow cooker sides? Check out these options!
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Gnocchi Bake
- 1 pound of cubed butternut squash
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 17.6 oz package dried gnocchi or mini gnocchi
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Add squash to slow cooker
- Add flour and seasoning and toss to coat squash
- Slowly pour in milk while stirring until combined and no lumps remain
- Cut up butter and add 2 tablespoons to slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 until squash is very tender
- Carefully using a potato masher or large fork break up squash into sauce and then stir until well combined and smooth
- Add gnocchi and stir to combine evenly
- Cover again and cook on high for 15-30 minutes until liquid is absorbed
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in microwave them mix with breadcrumbs and cheese
- Top casserole with this breadcrumb topping and either cover and cook on high for another 15-20 minutes OR pop in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for 3-6 minutes in an oven safe dish until lightly browned
Craving more butternut squash?
Slow Cooker Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase a product through this link I will earn a small commission. As always, I only recommend products I use and love!