If you came here because of the roasted brussels sprouts thinking this should be a healthy meal then you could be disappointed. But you shouldn’t be because we all need to eat our veggies in a creamy brown butter sauce every once in a while. If you’ve previously tried brussels sprouts and think you don’t like them or haven’t tried them yet because you think you won’t like them….well….please try them! They are good!! Actually, they are really good!! Especially with brown butter cream sauce and pasta 🙂
I’ve converted a few friends to become brussels sprout lovers by shredding and sauteing with olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice. But one night I was trying to come up with a way to incorporate them as part of the main dish. I came up with this pasta but made it all on the stove since my previous experience with making cream sauce always involved lots of stirring and reducing.
But, well, you know me and my obsession with making everything in the slow cooker. And I was going to need to run a few afternoon errands and not be home until close to dinner time. Oh, and I had some more brussels sprouts to use up. So I decided to give it a try figuring we could always order pizza if we had to.
I was actually surprised this turned out so well! It really was just as good as when I had made it on the stove! Turns out linguine noodles hold up pretty well to crockpot cooking. Who knew? This opens up a whole world of possibilities!
You will need to brown your butter on the stove and roast your brussels sprouts under the broiler but these steps will only take you about 5 minutes. If you are not sure how to make browned butter, I found this tutorial over at Simply Recipes (one of the most amazing recipe sites by the way!) to explain it perfectly! Once these steps are done will you add everything except the noodles to the crock and let it go while you go about your day. Then you will add your noodles and let them cook for 30-60 minutes while you make a salad, go out for a walk, or whatever else you might like to do to relax a little before dinner. No worries, most of the work is done and you won’t have much clean up since it’s all in the crock!
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 oz linguine noodles for later
- 3/4 cup heavy cream for later
- Wash and cut brussels sprouts into halves (or quarters if they are large)
- Toss with olive oil and lemon pepper
- Place on broiler pan lined with foil on top rack of oven for 3-5 minutes until slightly browned
- Add brussels sprouts to crock and sprinkle evenly with flour
- Brown 4 tablespoons butter on stove with Italian seasoning- link to tutorial in text above
- Pour into crock
- Add chicken broth and cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 until brussels sprouts are tender
- Add 16 oz uncooked noodles (break in half if needed to fit crock) and cream
- Stir to combine then cover and cook on high for an additional 30-60 minutes until liquid is absorbed and noodles are al dente
- Stirring 2-3 times during this final cooking phase will ensure noodles cook evenly and if needed another 1/2 cup liquid can be added until noodles are done.
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!