I like cinnamon rolls as much as the next girl as an occasional breakfast treat. I will make them when we have company or I just want to treat my family to a little something special. But if you want to try something just a little different this Slow Cooker Blueberry Breakfast Cake with Lemon Drizzle Icing will surely impress your guests. And the best part? SO SIMPLE! This barely takes any more time than popping open a can of cinnamon rolls! And the part I love is that they are a little lighter tasting and a little less sweet so I don’t feel quite as stuffed after eating a piece of this. CAKE! FOR BREAKFAST! The kids are totally in for this one….
I was surfing around the web one day like I love to do and came across this recipe from this amazing blogger and was super excited to see one of my favorite flavor combos…blueberry with lemon. But let’s face it. We all know by now if it involves the oven and baking it’s not going to happen at my house. As amazing and delicious as those rolls looked I needed to borrow the inspiration for the flavors and find my own way to make this sort of idea happen in my crockpot.
I’m totally pleased with how this turned out! This held together well and since I had sprayed the crock with nonstick spray I was able to pull this out all in once piece which makes for a really nice presentation. Cake for breakfast? I don’t mind if I do! 🙂
- For the cake:
- 2 (7.5 oz) cans prepared biscuit dough
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- For drizzle icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-3 tablespoons milk
- Spray crock well with nonstick spray
- In small bowl toss together blueberries, sugar and cornstarch
- Cut each biscuit into quarters
- Place half the cut biscuits into crock
- Sprinkle blueberries over the first layer then top with remaining cut biscuits
- Brush the top with melted butter
- Cover and cook on high 2-3 hours or low 4-5 hours until biscuit dough is fully cooked
- Let cake cool and remove from crock onto platter
- In small bowl whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon milk with fork. Add more milk as needed until desired consistency (thin enough to drizzle over cake)
- Pour icing over cake, cut into slices, and serve
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!