So I stopped by the grocery store the other day to pick up like maybe one or two things that I needed. But I was a little stressed out about some other stuff at the time and I may have done a little retail therapy in the form of excessive amounts of produce. I ended up at home with 3 bags stuffed full of fruits and veggies. I can think of worse things to spend a few unplanned dollars on! And after eating take-out a couple of times this week it seemed only right to cook up a nice healthy and veggie packed meal to make up the difference!
There are plenty of days when for whatever reason I don’t get a meal going in the slow cooker. With a teenager that needs help on homework or a ride home from practice and a three year old that hangs on me and needs help with random things like getting both her legs stuck in one pant leg it doesn’t leave me with much time to focus on meal prep. But it IS possible to get a healthy meal on the table in less than 30 minutes and in fact these Veggie Fajita Bowls took me less than 24 minutes! (I timed in just for you!).
This was for the main meal prep as I had made the dressing/sauce ahead of time. But that only took me 5 minutes and it can totally be made the day before. You will also want to factor how long it will take you to make some rice. I threw mine in the rice cooker so there was not really any extra time involved. You could easily make the rice the day before also and just heat it up when ready to eat!
I started by gathering all my supplies such as cutting board, knife and measuring spoons. Then I grabbed all my seasoning bottles and veggies. I set up the pan on the stove and added my olive oil. My first food prep step was to mix up the seasoning blend and to set it by the stove ready to go. Then I got to chopping! I cut the tops off the peppers and removed the ribs and seeds and then cut them into strips. I shucked the ears of corn and then stood them up in a bowl and slice the kernels off. Then I got to work on the zucchini, cutting the ends off and then slicing it in half lengthwise. Then I gave each half another slice lengthwise so that they were in quarter. Then I just chopped them into chunks. For the onion I cut off the ends and then peeled. Then I just slice it in half with one of the flat ends down. I then worked my way around to cut into petals. The mushrooms came already cut!
I’m thinking of doing a video to show these steps. It sounds much more complicated when I write it out then when I was actually doing it. Anybody think that would be helpful? Let me know! To cook you will just heat up the oil and then add the veggie in by group and let them saute away. The amount of time depends on how crisp you like them but I would recommend not overcooking them!
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon homemade ranch seasoning mix
- 1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 3 teaspoons Grill Mates Roasted Garlic and Herb Blend
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn
- 2 small zucchini squashes
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 small red onion
- 1 (8oz) package sliced portobello mushrooms
- Additional peppers, cilantro, etc. as garnish - optional
- Place all ingredients in blender
- Blend until smooth and place in fridge until ready to use
- Can be made a day in advance
- Whisk together ingredients in small bowl and set aside
- Or store in airtight container until ready to use
- Cook rice according to package directions (or rice cooker directions if using)
- When rice is done add lime, cilantro and salt and stir to combine well
- Slice peppers into strips (remove top, seeds and ribs)
- Quarter zucchini lengthwise and chop into chunks (remove ends)
- Shuck corn and use sharp knife to remove kernels
- Remove ends and peel onion then cut into petals or chunks
- Heat oil over medium high heat
- Add peppers and onions and saute for 2-3 minutes
- Add corn and zucchini and saute another 1-2 minutes
- Add mushrooms and seasoning blend and continue to saute until desired tenderness (about 4-5 minutes)
- Serve rice topped with veggies and drizzled with Zesty Lime Dressing
Don’t miss a recipe!! Sign up and stay up to date on news and posts!
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!