Ready to ditch the canned soup and make a simple, easy and delicious Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole from scratch? We make this at least once a month at my house!
After the success of my Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole I decided to ditch the canned soup and make a simple from scratch sauce for the traditional version. The result? A Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole to beat all others. My daughter requests this on a weekly basis and this is one dish that I can feel good about feeding my family. I’ve added veggies to the sauce to make it a complete meal. This is also great for making ahead and dropping off for friends or family in need of hot meal.
I never even knew that tater tot casserole existed until a friend told me about it and how her kids go crazy over it. It’s the perfect throw together on a busy night dinner that the whole family will love.
Making a creamy sauce is so super easy you will wonder why you haven’t been doing it this way all along. By the time you find the can opener and remember how to use it you can have this sauce simmering away.
How to make homemade creamy sauce for tater tot casserole…
After browning the ground beef you’ll add some flour and let it cook for a bit. Then add some chicken broth and let it simmer and thicken. Finally, to make it creamy, you’ll add a touch of heavy cream. Any mixed veggies you like are a great addition and for the seasoning you can pick any seasoning blend you like that goes will with beef and veggies.
What’s the best slow cooker to use for this casserole?
You can use any slow cooker you have, provided it’s at least 3 quarts. An oval sized slow cooker or a casserole slow cooker are best. I used my mini casserole slow cooker and it was perfect. You may have to stack the tater tots depending on how much space you have.
Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons herb and garlic seasoning (or favorite seasoning blend)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups frozen mixed veggies
- 24 ounces frozen tater tots
- 8 oz shredded cheese
- In a large skillet brown ground beef over medium high heat until fully cooked and no pink remains and drain any fat
- Add flour and stir to coat all beef evenly with flour
- Slowly add broth while continuing to stir to ensure no lumps form from flour
- Add seasonings and bring mixture up to a slow boil and then reduce to a simmer
- Let simmer for about 5-7 minutes until broth thickens to coat the spoon
- Stir in the cream and continue to simmer for another 3-5 minutes to let everything thicken to the texture of cream soup
- Add veggies and stir to combine evenly
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray
- Add meat mixture
- Top with tater tots and cheese
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!