Is family dinner-time important and do you need a meal plan?
Is there anyone else out there that feels like life moves at a much faster pace than it used to? Maybe it’s just a case of “in the good ‘old days” but I really feel that families in general are much busier than they were when I was growing up. Sure, we had some activities from time to time and parents sometimes had to work late, but overall it felt our evenings were spent as a family. One thing I could always count on was family dinner time, and I feel like many don’t have that today. Whether you are grabbing a bowl of cold cereal or something at the drive-thru on the way to or from somewhere, it may not be the dinner you really want. Now, I’m not sure our busy lifestyles won’t change anytime soon, because really, there is just so much to do and so little time, but I still feel that dinner time is so important. That’s why I spend my time coming up with ways for people to get a wholesome dinner on the table without all the time and stress. Prepping ahead and using your slow cooker is such a simple way feel better about what you’re eating for dinner each night. Yes, getting it all organized in advance takes some work, but there are so many options out there to help take some of that burden off your shoulders.
A few of the benefits of meal planning are:
- saving money – no more last minute take-out or wasted ingredients
- saving time – prepping all food at once is efficient and a grocery list saves you from extra trips to the store
- eating healthier – you can plan for meals that meet your health goals rather than making decisions when hunger has already set in
- reduce stress – having a plan means no more pressure when that dreaded question “what’s for dinner” comes up
(You can get the original recipe for these green beans here)
(All the recipes featured in this post are included the current week Garnished Plate Meal Plan)
There are several different way to go about meal planning & prepping and this list doesn’t include all of them but does give you a general idea:
- Meal Kit Delivery Services – all ingredients are measured and shipped along with the recipes for the week
- Meal Prep Stores – you show up and all the ingredients are prepped, recipes are provided and you assemble the ingredients
- On-Line Services – you choose recipes and the shopping list and instructions are provided
Each of these options has their benefits and drawbacks and over the next few weeks I will spend a little time discussing these. Now, if you been around here much, you’ll know my passion on-line meal plans that give you flexibility and will give you the skills to plan and prep your own meals, but I do also know that’s not the best option for everyone. I’d love to help each and every one of you find the plan that works best for you, so be sure to send me your questions so that I can address them all over the next few weeks.
In the meantime, you can download my free e-book with prep-ahead meals for your slow cooker by subscribing to my email list here!
Or, if you’d like to give it a try, I have a $1 trial of the full features of my Garnished Plate Meal Plan.
And, as always, feel free to reach out to me with any questions you have! I love helping others find an enjoyable way to get dinner on the table for their families!
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!