So Thanksgiving is coming up, like, really soon. And I don’t know about you, but I’m totally planning to overindulge and then spend the rest of the day sitting around feeling miserable and moaning about how I ate too much. Because it’s fun right?!? Must be since we do it again every year. But since I don’t want to spent my Black Friday shopping dollars buying bigger pants to accommodate, I plan instead on making up for it by eating this super healthy and oh so yummy Crock Pot Turkey and Vegetable Soup for lunch. For the entire week following. Don’t start praising my amazing willpower for eating so healthy for a whole week straight. This soup is delicious and my mouth is watering right now thinking about it!!!
The beauty of this soup is that you can really customize it and add whatever veggies you love or whatever you have on hand. They can be fresh, frozen, it just doesn’t matter! Now this is one of those recipes that does require you to use the stove for Step One. And I usually shy away from all that extra work (read….washing an extra pan. I don’t like doing dishes. Almost as much as I don’t like doing laundry. But anyway…). You can save yourself a little trouble if you do what I sometimes do and cook up a batch of ground turkey, say 3 or 4 pounds, and then divide it up into baggies and store it in the freezer. That way when the craving hits you for this soup (and it will!) you can throw it together in no time!
Hmmmm…I’d better make a double batch next time so the whole family can enjoy the leftovers!
- 1 pound ground turkey, browned and drained
- 32 oz jar of your favorite pasta sauce (I personally like Ragu Light Tomato Basil in this recipe)
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 cups veggies (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown and drain your ground turkey and add to crock
- Chop your veggies as needed into bite size pieces
- Add all remaining ingredients to crockpot
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6