I first made a recipe for sloppy joe’s a few months ago, and in fact I think it was the first recipe I made intended for this blog! However, I was still learning how to take a decent photo and was a little unsure about posting something that everyone probably already has a recipe for. Or if you are like me I often will use a can of sloppy joe mix so who even needs a recipe?! But when I was thinking the other day about what sounded good for dinner I just wanted something with traditional, comfort food kind of flavors. Why not make a sloppy joe”ish” casserole topped with with tasty hashbrown potatoes for a whole meal right in one crock?!
But wait! I pulled out the recipe I had written and *gasp* I did not have all the ingredients I needed! But no worries! Slow Cooker cooking is all about a little of this, a little of that and let’s see how it turns out. Or….at least that’s how I tend to cook. I mean, unless you are baking, there are not too many times when recipes have to be followed exactly.
So feel free to substitute whatever you have that works in this recipe. Don’t run out and buy a bunch of new ingredients. This goes for any recipe I share with you guys! If you don’t have something and it seems like something else might work…try it!! Or email me or leave me a comment or a message and we can talk about what might work!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 oz can tomato sauce
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- ½ of a 26oz package shredded frozen hashbrown potatoes
- 4 - 6 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Brown and drain ground beef and place in crockpot
- Add remaining ingredients except for hashbrowns and cheese and stir to combine well
- Top with frozen hashbrowns
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4
- Top with shredded cheese and let melt for about 15 minutes before serving