Can I just say I love it when people send me recipe ideas?!! This one came to me from a fabulous lady who just happened my boss where I used to work (seems like a lifetime ago and so glad we still keep in touch!!). It’s something her family has been making (and loving!) for a long time. I can see why!! Simple but flavorful and delicious pork served up in your favorite taco shells. We will be making this one a lot. My whole family loved it and my three year old kept saying “this is good chicken!”. Hey, she was eating so we just let it go! 🙂
Life can be so crazy sometimes and if you are anything like me then just knowing that while you are out there braving the world there is a delicious dinner waiting for you at home just makes it that much easier to tackle the day.
These tacos take no time at all to get going in the morning and just need to cook low and slow all day. They will even hold on warm in the crock if you have a sudden kid related emergency that turns into not so much of an emergency (thankfully!) but eats up your dinner time plus a little more. Despite the drama I was super happy to know we had these in the crock waiting at home instead of having to run through the drive-thru somewhere.
And endless topping ideas too! Cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and guac are just a few ideas. We actually kept it really simple and just made a little adobo sour cream and added a bit of cilantro! Some days simple is really best! If anyone has more recipe ideas to share you know I’d love to hear ’em!!!
- For pork:
- 2 pound pork shoulder roast
- 1 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning (see link below or use one packet taco seasoning)
- 8 oz beer or vegetable broth
- For sour cream:
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons (or up to 1 tablespoon) adobo sauce from can of chipotle peppers
- Place pork in crock and pour in beer or broth around the bottom making sure it doesn't come up any more than halfway on the pork
- Rub in taco seasoning to exposed top half of pork
- Cover and cook on low for at least 8 hours
- Remove juices from crock and reserve about ½ cup
- Shred pork with forks and add back liquid a little at a time until it's juicy but not swimming in liquid
- With a spoon mix together sour cream with adobo sauce
- Serve on your favorite taco shells
Find the homemade taco seasoning here!