Do you guys set New Year’s Resolutions? What are they if you like to share that sort of thing? I don’t exactly make resolutions…I always think if I’m going to do something that I’m just going to do it. No time like the present and all?!? But even so I find that with each new year I kind of like to wipe the slate clean and try to get back on track with things that I have let slip over the holidays (or probably even before that). I like to have a few healthier meals that I can make during the week but they need to be so good and so full of flavor that nobody realizes the true purpose I have intended of eating light and lean. This recipe for Slow Cooker Margarita Chicken with Rice did not disappoint. I dare to say it packs a flavor punch!
So amazingly simple to prepare and so delicious to eat. I love how a few simple ingredients can turn into a great meal with so little prep work and so little clean up. If you happen to have leftover chicken it would make a fabulous topping for a salad. Chop it up and add it to some greens and veggies and toss it with a citrus vinaigrette. Perfect for lunch or a busy evening!
You can steam up a bag of veggies to serve along side this and have a completely well rounded meal. I just love the variety of steam in the bag veggies that are available now. They are not always my first choice but are great when you don’t have much time or don’t want to go to a lot of trouble. Something with peppers would be an awesome side for this chicken.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- ½ cup limeade (I used frozen limeade that I had thawed and finished it off by making margaritas!)
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup water or broth
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix rice, limeade, orange juice, water, garlic and cilantro in bottom of crock
- Add chicken to crock and sprinkle the top part that is not covered by liquid with the cayenne pepper and salt and pepper
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours