I’m back after a super fun weekend!!! Some girlfriends and I hit the road for a little trip that just happened to involve running at half marathon the last day. So good to get away and to spend more time with these lovely ladies! But more on that in a minute. First I want to tell you about this mac and cheese I made for my family before I left so that they could have full bellies and leftovers.
So easy to make and so creamy and delicious. You will cook the chicken all day with lots of garlic and broth and then during the last 30-60 minutes add in the noodles and cheese. Very easy and so much better than boxed mac and cheese.
Use any kind of cheese you like the most. I used a combo of sharp yellow cheddar and sharp white cheddar. I really like that extra bite of flavor. You will also use a little cream cheese to help smooth it all out and add that little extra richness. The richness of all that cheese is balanced out with the garlicky chicken. The whole family loved this and when I got home all the leftovers were gone too! Always the sign of a well received meal.
Now more about the weekend and the race! We were able to hit the road on Friday night and had such a fun drive even running into another one of our friends traveling with her family at a stop along the way. Such a fun surprise! We were able to stay with the brother and sister-in-law of my friend and they were so lovely to host us! Blueberry pancakes and bacon for breakfast!!! And a lovely pre-race dinner made by her mom! Such a wonderful family!
We did our best to document our trip in photos….But I never did get a food pic! I was too busy chowing down! Here is our attempt at a selfie. That’s me on the right. The weather was perfect all weekend. We were able to go to the race expo and catch a funny movie. So relaxing to laugh with your friends! Race day couldn’t have been more perfect. Nice and cool and a lovely course lined with lots of spectators cheering. The miles flew by and goals were met. Must do this all again soon!
This recipe was featured on Slow Cooker From Scratch!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken (I used breast tenders)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 16 oz pasta noodles (your favorite to use for mac and cheese - I used cellentani)
- 12 oz shredded cheese of choice (I used 6 oz each of sharp white and yellow cheddar)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- Place chicken in crock and add broth, garlic, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or high for about 3 until chicken is fully cooked
- Remove chicken from crock and shred with two forks
- Add noodles, shredded cheese and cream cheese to crock along with chicken
- Stir well to coat and combine noodles
- Cover and cook on high for 30-60 minutes, stir once or twice during this time for best results
- Pasta is done with liquid is absorbed and pasta is al dente (or softer if you prefer). You can more liquid if necessary adding ½ cup at a time
- Stir and serve