I’ve got one for you today that will make you think it’s summer (or at least wish it was) even though we are currently surviving the dead of winter! I mean, soups and pasta are great and all and I love these rich hearty meals in the winter, but sometimes you just really want some fresh crisp greens, right? And I’m not talking some boring salad that’s going to make you stare sadly into your bowl wishing for a ribeye. This is a fun bowl with artisan style baby lettuce, creamy avocados, hearty farro and sweet and smoky chicken!
This make a fabulous busy weeknight meal. You can literally have this from the fridge to the slow cooker in about 3 minutes. Just whisk some BBQ with honey and pour it over chicken. Out the door! Make your zesty lime ranch up on the weekend. Have your greens washed up and chopped the night before or give the job to one of your bigger kids. Cook up the farro when you get home and it will be quick to assemble this meal.
We serve this kind of stuff buffet style which works great when you have picky eaters. Everyone can pick what they like for their bowl. I find there’s much less complaining that way, yet I know I’m still serving a wholesome meal.
Who says you can’t use your slow cooker to help you make up fresh meals?! Sometimes you just have to think outside the box a little!
Slow Cooker Honey BBQ Chicken Bowls
Author: Slow Cooker Gourmet
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup farro
- 4-6 ounces mixed lettuce greens (I like the artisan style baby lettuce that comes in a 4-pack)
- 8 oz grape tomatoes
- handful of fresh cilantro
- 2 avocados
- zesty lime ranch dressing
- Add chicken to slow cooker
- Whisk together BBQ sauce and honey and pour over chicken
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred
- Add additional BBQ sauce if desired
- Cook farro according to package directions
- Wash and chop salad greens and cilantro and slice grape tomatoes
- Cut avocados in half and remove pits then slice and remove from skin
- Divide among 4 bowls and serve drizzled with zesty lime ranch or as desired
I cooked the chicken on high for 3.5 hours in my 4 quart multi cooker