Meatloaf. People seem to love it or hate it. I will actually order meatloaf at certain restaurants and I like it but honestly I never really try to make it. But I really need some more basic, everyday type recipes that my whole family will look forward to eating. And what’s more traditional than meatloaf? Didn’t all our moms make it for us growing up? But I couldn’t leave it totally traditional! This meatloaf is full of savory seasonings and topped off with a creamy gravy and served up with delicious baby potatoes soaked (yes, soaked!) in butter and dill!
Use a larger oval crockpot for this one so you can fit all the potatoes right in with the meatloaf… I used my 6 quart and it was perfect. I love making the whole meal all together and try to come up with ways to do this whenever possible. My plan was to add some fresh sauteed green beans with ours at the end but I ran out of time. But it was all good and everyone was too busy stuffing their faces to complain. 🙂
So here’s how you make this one work. You will make your meatloaf and put it right down in the middle of the crock (carefully! It’s all soft and squishy at this point and you don’t want it to fall apart!). Then you place the potatoes all around it. You will add just enough broth to cover the potatoes but not completely submerge the meatloaf.
The potatoes I used were called Dutch Baby Yellow Potatoes. They are one of my favorites because they are tiny and cute and delicious! I’m always able to find them at Super Wal-Mart but if you can’t find them then you can cut up Yukon Gold Potatoes instead. Once the food is done just fish them out with a slotted spoon and place them in a bowl with the butter and seasonings and cover it with foil and let it sit while you finish the rest of the food.
Then for the gravy. Oh, the gravy!! Strain the liquid from the crock into a saucepan, add some cornstarch and some cream, let it simmer about 3 minutes and you have the most amazing gravy that completes this meal! So delicious!!
- For the meatloaf:
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I used 93%)
- 1 pound reduced fat ground pork
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup brown minute rice
- ½ cup grated asiago cheese
- 2 teaspoons your favorite meat seasoning (I used McCormick Grill Mates Worcestershire Pub Burger seasoning... delicious!!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For Potatoes:
- 1½ pound bag Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes, washed clean
- 3 tablespoons butter (for later)
- ½ teaspoon dried dill (for later)
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley (for later)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (for later)
- For Gravy:
- 1½ cups beef broth
- ½ cup heavy cream (for later)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch + 2 tablespoons water (for later)
- salt to taste
- In a mixing bowl combine all meatloaf ingredients. Use your hands to mix it all up until well combined then form into a loaf shape and carefully place in center of the crock.
- Surround meatloaf with baby potatoes
- Add beef broth
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 until meatloaf is fully cooked through
- Use a slotted spoon to remove potatoes to separate bowl and add remaining potato ingredients. Cover with foil until ready to serve, then stir to evenly coat potatoes
- Remove meatloaf to platter and allow to rest before cutting while making gravy
- Strain broth into saucepan
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth to create a slurry and add it to broth
- Add heavy cream to pan and whisk constantly over high heat until it starts to simmer
- Let it simmer for about 3 minutes until it thickens
- Serve over sliced meatloaf with potatoes on the side