Coconut + Lime =
Summer Cocktail Chicken! As weird as it sounds it really works! I’ve seen a few recipes floating around and decided it was time to give it a try. I decided that making it in the slow cooker made a lot more sense and of course I wanted to keep the flavors simple. There is no overwhelming taste of creamy coconut or of the lime here…. just a hint of flavor and lots and lots of juicy-delicious-fall-off-the-bone chicken.
I found 2 pounds of chicken thighs and 1 pound of chicken drumsticks on sale so that’s what I used for four pieces of each. In my mind I thought we would all eat a piece of each… in reality I have a couple pieces left over and plans to shred them for my salad at lunch time today! Use any cut up chicken pieces you like… best to use bone-in skin still on pieces.
Crack open a can of coconut milk and your sauce is practically done! I added a little pineapple juice along with some lime juice and seasonings. All the tastes of summer. Almost sounds like a great ice cream flavor!
I let this cook all day on low and then did a quick broil to crisp it up just a little. You could skip this step if you are in a hurry but if you are serving it for company then it will be worth the extra few minutes. If you line your broiling pan with foil then there’s really no clean up.
- 3 pounds chicken (bone-in, skin-on, I mixed thighs and drumsticks)
- 13.5 oz can coconut milk or lite coconut milk
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place chicken in crock
- In a mixing bowl whisk remaining ingredients
- Pour over chicken
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Optional (but recommended) place cooked chicken on foil lined broiler pan and broil for 3-8 minutes. Keep an eye on it and take it out as soon as it starts to brown up.