For some reason shrimp has been on my mind a lot lately and I finally bought some the other day! The first dish I made was good for sure. Nice and buttery and cheese crusted and….well, just yum! But I also want to balance some things out and try to stay healthy too….so I decided some kind of flavorful shrimp bowls with rice would make a great dinner. And why not make it an easy crockpot dinner too!
This recipe makes enough to feed about 6 very hungry teenagers. So if you just have a couple of people to feed either cut it in half or plan on a whole lot of leftovers. It’s really quick to put everything in the crockpot, no precooking or separate mixing needed.
This will use the chili garlic sauce you bought if you made the Slow Cooker Crispy Orange Chicken. You will find it in the ethnic foods aisle with the Asian foods at the regular grocery store. It’s some spicy good stuff that you can use in so many dishes.
Control how spicy this is by how much of the chili garlic sauce you add. I loved the simple fresh flavors of the lime and the cilantro along with the spice. I also used a brown rice since it would be cooking in the crock. I wanted something that would hold up a little better to cooking all day.
- 2 cups brown jasmine rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 12 oz small shrimp - peeled, deveined, and tail-off
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 small diced jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 - 2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Mix all ingredients in crockpot
- Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours (reduce time if using white rice)
- If rice is not fully cooked, add another ½ cup water and check after 30 minutes