I’ve posted over 100 recipes since I started this blog and I can’t believe I haven’t posted ANY recipes for Chicken Tortilla Soup!! Maybe it’s because I never actually make it the same way more than once. But that’s why I love it! I can add a little of whatever I have and it makes a great and filling dinner! I went will all of my most favorite ingredients for this version and I’m happy to say I finally have it documented! How do buttery garlic chicken and fire roasted tomatoes sound? Two little extra things you can do to give this soup that much extra delicious flavor!
We eat soup year round in this house. But we usually stick to a lighter soup and stay away from things like Cream of Potato in the summer time. You can add any kind of favorite summertime veggies you have to make it even more summer like.
These kinds of soups are also great since you can just leave them on all day long. There is really nothing that is going to burn. Or if you need to get dinner done faster you can crank it up on high for 2-3 hours and be all set.
The kids and I got this going and then went out and ran errands all day. It was great to come home to dinner all done because we had plans to head back out to the pool in the evening with Dad. It was a good healthy meal without feeling like it was going to weigh us down in the pool!
My favorite part of the soup is that it’s nice and thick. I chop up tortillas and let them cook with everything else all day and they end up making the soup kind of nice and rich and creamy without really being rich and creamy…if that makes any sense. Either way…just give it a try! Your new go-to soup for an easy meal on a busy night.
- ½ to 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes (or regular will work)
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into strips and then cut across so that they are in tiny bite sized pieces
- Cut chicken into small bite sized pieces (I like to make them pretty small)
- In skillet on stove over medium high heat melt butter
- Add chicken and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Saute for about 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown
- Add chicken to crock
- Add in all remaining ingredients
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours for high for 2-4
- Stir to combine and ensure tortillas are incorporated into soup
- Serve with cheese, sour cream, cilantro or plain - however you prefer!
Can’t get enough soup? Try Slow Cooker Miso Vegetable Soup: