My new favorite chicken. What?! I know. Just the other day I said this chicken was my favorite. And it is. But so is this. Like “eat it every day for the rest of my life and never get tired of it” kind of favorite. Crazy. Obsessed. That’s me. But don’t judge until you’ve tried. It just might become your new favorite along with all the other favorites. Because it’s so good. And I didn’t even mention yet. Simple. A few steps but super simple ingredients. Who doesn’t love that?!
Can we talk about chicken thighs? So much flavor! Boneless, skinless so no weird chicken touching stuff to go through. No excuses. If you haven’t tried chicken thighs yet this is the recipe to try. I’m pretty sure you will be hooked. The flavor, texture, and juiciness CAN NOT be beat. In most recipes I’m all good with switching it out for chicken breasts, but here I might cry if you do!
I know we are getting into fall here and this seems like more of a summer recipe with the lemon but trust me. Some days you want something with a little lighter taste and this will not disappoint. It’s kind of the best of both worlds with the creamy richness offset with the tangy lemon. Did I mention the delicious flavor of the chicken. Oh yeah, I guess I did!
Brown up your chicken with a bit of olive oil and butter and get some onions and garlic browned up while you’re at it! I don’t suggest skipping this step as the nice brown crust is kind of essential in this recipe! Otherwise I think the chicken would kind of fall apart.
When it’s all done cooking you will add the cream (and lemon and mustard) to your sauce! You can just add it right to the crock OR you can take 5 minutes and bring it to a boil with a little added cornstarch in a saucepan and you will not be sorry. At all. The sauce will become that much more thick and rich and stick right to every bite of that chicken! Give it a try and let me know if chicken thighs are your new favorite!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ small yellow onion, diced (or about ¼ cup)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ (or up to ¼) teaspoon pepper, depending on taste
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Sprinkle each side of chicken with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- In large skillet over medium high heat melt butter with olive oil
- Add onion and garlic and saute for about 2 minutes
- Move onions and garlic to side of pan and add seasoned chicken thighs
- Saute for about 2-3 minutes on each side until nicely browned
- Transfer contents of pan to slow cooker
- Add chicken broth
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or high for 3-4
- Remove chicken and cover to keep warm
- Add cream, mustard and lemon juice to slow cooker and whisk
- To thicken sauce pour into small saucepan and whisk in 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes until thickened to desired consistency
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste
- Pour over chicken and serve