If I didn’t mention it in my last crock pot meatballs post, I’m obsessed with making meatballs in the crockpot. To me they are the perfect food! I mean, come on, you can eat them for appetizers, you can make them different sizes, they go with all kinds of sides and best of all you can make them in so many ways! Plus the leftovers can go in sandwiches or wraps. Or hey, you can even eat them for breakfast! I really hope you like meatballs too (or at least you are not opposed to them) because I have a bazillion meatball recipes to share with you (or something like that).
I was looking for Crock Pot Chicken Parmesan Meatballs and came across this recipe – http://www.dinneralovestory.com/chicken-parm-meatballs/. It looked awesome, but I knew I could never make them in the oven (see this post http://slowcookergourmet.net/2013/11/19/crockpot-turkey-goat-cheese-meatball-sandwiches/).
Whenever I do meatballs in the crock pot they seem to be fool proof. When I make them in the oven they come out dry and shriveled up no matter how exactly I follow the instructions. Does anyone know why? If so please tell me….. I don’t like it when my meals are big fails.
Anyway, I decided that I needed to modify the Chicken Parmesan Meatball recipe I found so that I could make it in the crockpot. I also prefer to make my meatballs without bread crumbs most of the time so instead I use oats. I’m not sure why but I always find the taste of the breadcrumbs overpowering. Feel free to make these either way you prefer.
I must say this was the second time I made these and they were by far the best meatballs I have ever made. They were perfect! Perfect!! Last time I served them with spaghetti squash (cooked in the crock of course) and this time with just plain spaghetti noodles. Wonderful either way!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- For later:
- One jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- Fresh mozzarella (I used the little mozzarella balls from Trader Joe's)
- Spray crock with olive oil
- Mix all ingredients except pasta sauce and mozzarella cheese in bowl just until evenly mixed
- Form meat into golf ball sized rounds and place in single layer in crock
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours
- During the last 30 - 60 minutes pour in pasta sauce and top each meatball with a little slice of cheese and heat until just melted