I know, I’ve posted a few soups lately, and seriously? It’s the middle of summer. But hey, who says the rules have to be followed, and who makes the rules anyway? I love soup year round!! Especially when it’s easy to make and can be cooking away while we are out enjoying our summery days! Plus, when a soup (or let’s face it, anything) contains gnocchi, it’s pretty much a year-round winner. And I’ve kind of got to say, this version rocks. Was craving it again and ordered at a restaurant the other day and was kind of bummed by the lack of both actual chicken or gnocchi in my bowl :(.
I find a soup like this a great way to have a filling dinner without ending up totally stuffed. Plus? Easy!! Just toss all the ingredients in the slow cooker along with some flour and simply let it simmer all day. The soup will thicken up nicely and using chicken thighs creates so much flavor. In fact, I must insist on the chicken thighs in this recipe. The flavor can’t be beat.
And… this soup is packed with carrots and spinach so it’s a great way to get your veggie fix. In my book that makes for a well rounded meal. Enjoy this delicious version of a classic soup whether it’s 100 degrees or -10. A favorite in our family for sure.
And by the way, did you notice how easy this is to put together? It’s truly one of those toss in the slow cooker recipes for busy days. Then just shred up the chicken, add the remaining ingredients and let them finish up for a few minutes and you won’t have to worry about children crying that they are hungry for an hour (unless you have to take pics… like me. I still deal with the whining child).
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup frozen crinkle cut carrots
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream, for later
- 1 package (17-18oz) package dried gnocchi, for later
- 4-5 oz baby spinach, for later
- Add chicken, carrots, seasonings, and flour to slow cooker
- Toss to coat well
- Slowly stir in chicken broth, stirring to make sure flour dissolves
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Shred chicken with forks (or break apart into large chunks)
- Add cream, gnocchi and spinach
- Cover and return to high heat for 15-30 minutes until gnocchi is cooked tender and soup is fully heated through