Is any family holiday dinner complete without cheesy hashbrown potatoes? I think not!! And with this recipe you can make them in the slow cooker so that you don’t have to take up any precious oven space! Oh, and I changed these up a bit to add some bacon and caramelized onion. You don’t mind, do you? Along with extra cheesy goodness? Because these don’t have any canned soup… just a super simple made from scratch cheese sauce for lots of extra cheesy bites!
The great thing about making your own cheese sauce is that you get to use whatever kind of cheese you love! For us it’s sharp cheddar but you can use so many different things! You just want to make sure it’s a cheese that melts well. You could even mix up a new and amazing cheese blend!
Chop up some bacon and add it to a nice and hot skillet. Let it start to brown up and then toss in your sliced up onions. Let everything cook until the bacon is nice and crispy and the onions are nice and brown. Then use that skillet to make the cheese sauce by adding the flour, broth and cream. Season and stir in the cheese and your done!
Use a bag of cubed has brown potatoes to save yourself the work of peeling and chopping. Get these going in your crock and have lots of time to focus on the main dish. Or make a main dish in the crock too and have lots of time to focus on your guests!!
- 1 32oz bag diced hashbrown potatoes
- 2 slices bacon
- ½ onion, sliced thin
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- pinch pepper
- 3 cups shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Spray crock well with nonstick spray
- Add bag of potatoes
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat
- Dice bacon into small pieces and add to pan
- Let cook until it just starts to brown and adds some fat to the pan
- Thinly slice onions and add to pan
- Cook, stirring occasionally until bacon is crisp and onions are light brown
- Sprinkle in flour and stir to coat evenly over bacon and onions
- Slowly stir in broth and bring to a low boil for about 4-5 minutes until it starts to reduce and thicken
- Add in cream and seasonings and let simmer for about 2-3 additional minutes
- Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of the shredded cheese
- When well mixed carefully pour the cheese mixture over the potatoes and toss to coat evenly
- Chop up butter into several pieces and place on top
- Top with cheese and cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 5-7 hours on low
I cooked this in my 5 quart slow cooker on high for 3½ hours
Need more sides?