Whew…I’m exhausted just from typing out the title! Why didn’t I just call these Chili Cheese Fries and be done with it? Because that could not possible begin to describe the wonderful deliciousness of this amazing and tasty creation (if I do say so myself!). In fact this is a condensed version of what I really wanted to call it which would have also included Cilantro Sour Cream Drizzle and Spicy Ranch dressing. Oh yes….these have all kinds of delicious flavors going on.
When Shawn and I first got married and lived in our little college apartment with our little apartment stove I used to make chili cheese fries all the time. I thought it was pretty much culinary genius. Waffle fries, a can of chili and top it all off with shredded cheese and sour cream. And hey, that still works. But if you want to take it up a notch and enjoy a dinner that will temp you to keep on eating until you are in a food coma (in good way!) then give these fries a try!
What are street fries exactly? Well, I’m not totally sure but it sounds so super cool when I’m watching the cooking channel and they are getting street fries from a food truck. And so this is my version. Because I have an ridiculous obsession with the idea that I will one day own my own food truck. It’s ridiculous because the truth is I have no desire to put in the kind of hours and work involved with running the said food truck. But that never stops me from dreaming up all the recipes and dishes I would serve.
Hmmmm, maybe I would be better served for my food truck to be lined up with about 50 crock-pots. Now that would be pretty cool! Well, in the meantime I guess I will just keep dreaming up the recipes and sharing them here with you…. if you all don’t mind!
- For the chili:
- 1½ pound chuck roast
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups beef broth
- For the cilantro sour cream:
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- For the salsa ranch:
- ¼ cup ranch dressing
- 3 tablespoons salsa
- 1 package (about 24oz) frozen potato fries (I love Trader Joe's fries!)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used AND recommend sharp cheddar and monterrey jack, freshly shredded)
- Additional fresh or dried cilantro for garnish, optional
- Cut your chuck roast into several smaller chunks (I had about 6)
- Place in plastic zip top bag
- Add all of the spices, salt and pepper as well as the flour
- Seal the bag and shake well to coat
- Pour contents of bag into crock
- Slowly add beef broth while stirring to ensure you don't get any lumps
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours
- Shred beef with 2 forks
- In two separate containers mix together the ingredients for the cilantro sour cream and for the salsa ranch. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- At meal time prepare fries in oven according to package directions.
- Place a serving of fries on each plate and top with a few ladles of chili
- Add cheese and drizzle with sour cream and salsa ranch
- Add a garnish of cilantro if desired
I used a 3.5 quart slow cooker
If you like this recipe how about other things covered in cheese and yummy sauces? Like Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Nachos: