As much as I love just about any kind of enchiladas I can dream up, I can’t believe I’ve never dreamed about or better yet tried breakfast enchiladas! I finally saw a photo of some of these delicious creations on Pinterest and I decided I must give them a try! And what better way to make a big pan of enchiladas than to make them in the slow cooker?! This is perfect for popping in the slow cooker early in the morning when you have company, making on a lazy Sunday morning, cooking up ahead for breakfast for the week or even making breakfast for dinner.
The main flavor to consider when making these is the sausage. What kind of sausage do you like? You could use a spicy pork sausage if that’s your thing, but I prefer something much more mild. I love chicken and turkey sausage and since the former is hard to find I went with turkey sausage. A bag of frozen sweet potatoes adds substance plus packs plenty of extra nutrition. Finally, and not to be forgotten, is plenty of scrambled eggs. All done up in one skillet to make it easy! Make this part up ahead and you can throw breakfast together in no time.
I’m not going to lie, probably my favorite part about these enchiladas is the cheese sauce. I can’t believe in all my life I never knew how easy it was to whip up a homemade cheese sauce, but I must say in the last couple of years my life has been changed by this discovery. There are so many breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks that are made so much better with cheese!
I cooked these all up in my casserole slow cooker which is perfect for these types of recipes. They are fairly inexpensive so if you like easy casserole options I highly recommend getting one of these for your line-up. If you don’t have one, you can still make this dish, but I’d probably go for more of a layered option than individually rolled enchiladas.
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken sausage
- 12 oz frozen cubed sweet potatoes
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 oz shredded monterry jack cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8-10 tacos sized flour tortillas
- ½ cup salsa verde
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat
- Add crumbled turkey sausage and cook until done, drain off grease
- Add sweet potatoes and cook until heated through
- Whisk together eggs, cream and salt
- Push sausage and potatoes to side in skillet and add eggs
- Cook while stirring until cooked through into scrambled eggs
- Stir all together and remove from heat
- In saucepan melt butter over medium high heat
- Whisk in flour until smooth
- Slowly pour in milk while whisking and continue to bring to a simmer while whisking until thickened, about 3-5 minutes
- Stir in shredded cheese until smooth and remove from heat
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray
- Divide filling evenly among tortillas and roll and place seam side down in slow cooker
- Top with cheese sauce and salsa verde
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 6-8
Love slow cooker breakfasts?
Or how about more enchiladas
Slow Cooker Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase a product through this link I will earn a small commission. As always, I only recommend products I use and love!