I realize it might sound crazy, but I promise you it’s amazing. I actually started out with this concept as a burger and they were mighty good. But to make it even easier I started thinking about how to slow cook them and what better way then to roll them into little balls?! Turned out pretty good if I say so myself! And I learned a new little trick along the way for making meatballs that I think I’m gonna stick with for awhile.
First let’s talk about the sauce. As simple as you like…. use your favorite bottled sauce whisked together with blueberry preserves or make your own favorite BBQ sauce from scratch. That’s about all there is to it.
Now on to the meatballs themselves. As much as I’d love to make fresh breadcrumbs I needed to find a realistic short-cut. That’s when I started reading about panko breadcrumbs. Soaked in milk. Perfect!
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons diced shallots
- 1 teaspoon BBQ seasoning
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (homemade or bottled)
- ½ cup blueberry preserves
- Add milk to panko bread crumbs in small bowl and let soak for 5 minutes or until softened
- Add to pork and beef along with egg, cheese, shallots and BBQ seasoning
- Mix using hands until well combined but be careful not to overwork mixture
- Using hands or ice cream scooper measure out 12 servings and roll gently into balls (a little larger than golfballs)
- Place on foil lined baking sheet and place in oven
- Turn on broiler and broil for 5-8 minutes watching closely until browned on top
- Transfer to slow cooker
- Whisk together BBQ sauce and blueberry preserves
- Pour half of mixture over meatballs
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours for low for 4-6 until meatballs are fully cooked through
- Remove from slow cooker and toss with remaining sauce (discard any cooking liquid from crock)