There is a bandwagon and I am on it. And guess what? I’m not ashamed to admit it. Because we are talking about the quinoa bandwagon. There is no shame in being a joiner when it involves a healthy, gluten free, packed with protein food that can be used in so, so many ways! Like as a pizza crust. In the crockpot. You had to know that was coming. A super easy BBQ Chicken Pizza that can be made in the slow cooker and has a quinoa crust. This might be my new favorite lunch!
I love pizza and could eat it several times a week. Except I shouldn’t. Because no matter how many veggies you top your pizza with it’s never going to be the healthiest choice out there. So I will chose to enjoy pizza as the occasional treat except that now I can feel a little less guilty if I want to have pizza more often when I make it with a quinoa crust 🙂
I put this together in the morning when my kids were out of school and we had a hot, delicious lunch! It was super easy to make since I used a bottled BBQ sauce and leftover rotisserie chicken. The only real effort required on my part was making the quinoa and luckily that’s not much more difficult than boiling water. If you happen to have leftover quinoa you will have this together in no time! And if you want to make quick work of it you can always make your quinoa in advance.
I used an oval 6 quart crock and this turned out like a deep dish pizza crust. I pressed it down around the bottom and up just a little around the sides which left a great spot for piling on toppings and cheese. I used fresh mozzarella but you could also add Gouda or another favorite. The beauty of pizza is being able to customize it!
Grab a fork and dig in!!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ⅔ cup shredded cooked rotisserie chicken (or other leftover cooked chicken)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- A few slices red onion
- ½ teaspoon dried cilantro
- 2 cups fresh shredded mozzarella
- Cook quinoa according to package directions and allow to cool
- Mix cooled quinoa with egg, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning
- Press into large oval crock that has been sprayed well with non-stick spray to form a crust that comes up slightly around the edges
- Top with BBQ sauce leaving the raised edges exposed
- Toss together chicken and garlic powder then place evenly over pizza
- Add red onion and cilantro
- Top with cheese
- Cover but prop lid open slightly (I used a wooden spoon handle)
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours until eggs are done and crust is set and cheese is melted
- Turn of heat and let set for up to 30 minutes before slicing and removing from crock (this will make it hold together much better)